I have to admit I've been on the struggle bus with my nutrition. I've been trying to listen to my body but really I was just feeding into my stress. When I'm stressed I stress eat. that includes cookies, Ice cream, chips, whatever's not tied down in the kitchen. I know I talk a lot of smack about how diets don't work and while I stand by my word that diets are crap. I still wholeheartedly believe that meal prepping brings out the best me
So let's take a look at what the definition of diet is, here's the definition of diet.
If we look at the very first definition of "diet" I would say yeah sure it's food I habitually eat. if we look at the second as in the one that doesn't work. NOPE. Meal Prepping can be done as part of a diet if I were to only allow myself to eat the food I prepared and I was doing it to lose weight. But that's not why I prep. Also when I took out the measuring and weighing off all the foods it freed me up to eat more foods that make me happy and less that make me crave more food!
Here's 5 reasons Why I prep and you should too!
1. I feel prepared and less stressed - When I meal prep I am less stressed out during the week. I do not need to focus on what my next meal will be and when I will eat it. Even when I played the on the diet off the diet game, I was always so worried about when my next meal was coming. With meal prepping, I have enough food throughout the day already prepped and ready to go. I don't need to worry about what it will be or where I will order from. It's just there.
2. I save money - meal prepping saves so many trips out for lunch. It saves me at least 15 dollars a day in coffee and lunches. That's $300 dollars a month that can go towards something way more important!
3. I make more nutritious choices - When I don't prepare ahead of time, I reach for the most convenient choice or the easiest to make with the least amount of time required to do it. This is often a bag of cookies or chips, I grab from Nathan's lunch snacks, or ordering take out. I always say I'm going to make an amazing dinner and by the time I'm done with work I'm wondering who will deliver the fastest. When I prep, I know what we are eating and I am not looking for the quickest way to get food.
4. I feel better - When I am snacking all the time and not really making the best choices for myself, I feel sluggish, my face breaks out, I get headaches and I'm pretty moody. When I'm well fed with my balanced pre-prepped meals. I have more energy. My mind feels more clear and I am genuinely in a happier place.
5. I eat more - Have you ever forgotten to eat? and you find yourself past your lunch time and the only available food source is a vending machine? Yeah it used to happen to me all the time. When I prep, my food is there. It's waiting for me when I get out of meetings or when I come up for air when I'm working on a large project. I don't have to just wait until I get home or settle for a candy bar out of the vending machine. I have a full meal ready in minutes.
So let's set the record straight! Meal Prepping and "dieting" are not created equal! I feel like in the space of Intuitive eating it gets mixed in with "unhealthy" habits. For some, it may be something that they obsess over and it could be their form of restriction. For me prepping my meals actually eases my mind from obsessing about food which in turns helps me stay focused on my daily tasks and not what I need to eat. It helps my gain moments of my life back that I didn't have when I was dieting or trying to eat without prepping.
If you're interested in learning more about meal prepping and how I do it, let me know I will gladly talk it over with you and give you some tips.
Join our Mailing list to receive the recipe for Mason Jar Make Ahead Protein Shakes